Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy BIRTH-DAY Abby!!


Well it is official.  Our family size has grown to a six member family!  So happy and blessed!

Abby was born on February 29th, 2012 at 10:20 am.  She weighed 5lb 13oz and 16 inches long.   February 29th was a special day for Abby.  Here’s why…it is said that 1 in 1,461 babies are born on Leap Year.  Then 1 in 80,000 babies are born with Campomelic Dysplasia.  So that makes Abby a 1 in 116,000,000 babies born with CD on Leap Year!  LOL.  If that’s not enough, she was also born on Rare Disease Day!  What a special day to mark the day of her birth!!

Abby is doing well.  She is on a breathing tube.  She is not oxygen dependent but needs a bit of help with the inhaling/exhaling since her respiratory system is weakened.  But they are positive and we will see how she does in the next couple of days! 

Aside from her left foot, her extremities look ‘normal’ to me and Roberto.  She is on the smaller side, only 10th percentile but there are even smaller babies in the NICU than her.   They plan on doing a round of tests to see the extent of her condition but that will take a few days and hopefully we will be able to have a family meeting to plan the next phase.

It’s tough not being able to hold her.  I am not used to this.  I am used to having the baby with me and waking up to feed her.  It felt quite lonely at one point during the wee hours of the night when the nurse came in to check my vitals and no baby.  I fell apart.  But was grateful to fall apart because I had been holding it in and it felt sooo good! 

So the c-section went.  It was neither good nor bad for me but the best thing for Abby!  It felt strange and weird but I am recovering well.  I am up and walking and got my own PJ’s on which makes me feel human again! 

Thank you for your continued love, prayers and support.  I know I keep saying that but I really mean it.  I believe that Abby is doing so well because of all of the prayers that are being prayed for her.  She is a miracle!!

Love Aimee

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there mama and we all know what its like to not be able to hold your baby right away. I think Braden was 3 day old before I was allowed to hold him for a half hour :( Prayers continue that she continues to get stronger and for good test results! I can't believe you are up and about already! You are a rock star! And don't feel bad for breaking down...you have to to stay sane :)

    PS my boys LOVE the video of Abby. I think I had to replay it 15 times for them!

    Keep up the good work Abby we are praying for you! And you are super tall!!! You are 2 full inches longer than our Braden was :)

    Congrats again!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, we have been very fortunate in being allowed to hold Abby. Most nurses have been very cool about it. It's not such a big ordeal now that she is on a different kind of CPAP apparatus. Thank goodness. We can now see her face! All the doctors call her feisty! lol. She needs to be feisty and that she is! That's my girl I say!

    I appreciate all of your prayers! They mean alot to us!!

    ReplyDelete